Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm an Eagle, and I am LOST!!!

       After two long weeks of cleaning, organizing, and decorating my classroom, it is finally time to start thinking about actually teaching. I've been attending professional development meetings and orientations to become better acquainted with the school corporation's policies, procedures, resources, and technology. Most of the sessions have been a bore, but others have been really fun! I loved learning to use the smart boards (even though the choir room is the ONLY room without one), and I've enjoyed getting to spend some time with my fellow teachers... all of whom are fabulously supportive and all-around great people. The administration is great... my principal used to teach English and vocal music K-6.... she feels my pain and always keeps her door open for my 1,500 million bazillion questions. The secretaries are as sweet as Kentucky pecan pie~ haha! And the custodians helped me carry eight jumbo bags of trash out of my room without even batting an eye. Awesome! The staff is a good mix of younger people and seasoned veterans. Regardless of age, everyone I have met has expressed their love for the school and their job. This makes me feel really good about where I am. Is it possible that I may have landed my dream job as my first job?
       Today I was in the middle of a session about co-teaching when two little girls knocked on the door. "We can't find the choir teacher!" I turned around in my seat and said, "Um... that's me!" I went out into the hall to see what they needed. I was greeted by twelve terrified-looking sixth graders with schedules in hand. "It's fourth period. We're supposed to be in choir right now."
       I was totally confused as school doesn't start until August 4th. Another teacher came down the hall and explained that the students from one of the feeder elementary schools were getting to walk through their schedules. As I am not a sixth grade homeroom teacher, they forgot to notify me. Oh. I unlocked my door and the kids filed inside. They all sat in the very back row, and I coaxed them to come down to the front of the room. My mind was racing. I have fifteen whole minutes with these kids. What should I say? Mer.
       "Hey, guys! Um.... welcome to choir! We're going to do a lot of fun stuff this year.... We're gonna sing a lot..." DUH! What was I thinking? So dumb. I was so nervous. The kids just stared back with their giant saucer eyes.
       "Has anybody ever been in a choir before?" No hands went up. "Okay, that's alright! Has anybody had music class before?" A few hands went up. "Alright, then... Well, this year you'll learn to read music and we'll learn about music history (You know, the dead old guys all the way up through rock n' roll hopefully). We'll talk about musicals and maybe some operas...." More staring.
       A hand went up. Thank God. "Yes?"
       "My mom said we get to dance. Do we get to dance?"
       "Sure!" I noticed the one guy in the classroom get a panicked look on his face. "But it won't be the hard stuff and there will always be a guy part!" He relaxed.
       "Well, I guess I could start learning your names...." We went down the row and I tried to remember their names. I told them I'd probably forget them because I'm bad with names, but it's a start! I reassured the one boy that he wouldn't be the only guy in the class (there's five of them actually... haha). Apparently his mom made him take the class. I really hope he sticks with it. I told him that the ladies love guys that can sing like Justin Beiber.
       "I don't like Justin Beiber," he challenged.
       "Selena Gomez likes Justin Beiber... Do you like Selena Gomez?" I answered.
       "Yeah!" His face lit up. Great... now I just have to find some way to get Selena Gomez to my choir concerts.
       After some more chatting about concerts and what kind of music we might sing, the bell rang for the kids to head to their next class. A little girl from the front row came up and threw her arms around my waist. "You are already my favorite teacher! You are so happy!" I didn't know whether I wanted to laugh or cry more. Haha!
       On our way out the door, the one boy in the class came up to me--- that deer-in-the-headlights look in his eyes all over again. "I'm an Eagle and I am LOST!!!"
       Mer? Then I realized that the kids are put in learning groups: Eagles, Constellations... and some other crazy names I can't remember. He didn't know where his group was supposed to go next. "Let me see your schedule." Social studies. I was pretty sure that was upstairs. "Come on bud, I'll walk with you. You won't be late, don't worry!" We passed some custodians and I heard them joke about how it was like the blind leading the blind. Yep. I had no idea where this room was. Soon, we ran into the teacher designated as the Eagle leader and she took him to social studies. Phew. I went back to my professional development session and eagerly awaited the next group of 6th graders headed to choir.
       When I worked at Washington, I hated the sixth graders. They seemed so elementary-- like they needed to be babysat constantly. But these sixth graders are different somehow. I love them already, and that makes me really excited. They are just so. darn. cute. Seriously. For the first time in years, I am pumped to go back to school. I can't wait to meet my students. Thank you, sixth grade. Thank you, Eagles. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Lauren Taylor, this post in and of itself is proof of how awesome you're going to be. I am ridiculously proud of you, lady :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I love sixth graders :) so happy to hear how awesome everything is going so far!! Your kids are going to love you :)

    ReplyDelete