Saturday, October 22, 2011

Miss Representation

       This isn't really what I had intended to blog about today, but it's on my mind. I'm sitting here watching "Miss Representation" on OWN, and I am just completely appalled by the way that the media has finally reduced women to two categories: bitches and sex toys. We are painted as emotional, crazy, weak... and only valuable during child-bearing years. And, you know, it really makes me think about my experience thus far in my new teaching job. From the beginning, I had to work twice as hard as the other new teachers-- all male or older women-- to be taken seriously. Everything that I say is questioned and challenged. If I raise my voice at a class, I am a "bitch". If a male teacher does so, he is "assertive." I am the youngest teacher in my school and the only female teacher who has never been married and never had children. The kids are constantly asking me if I like to "go out clubbing", and, before I met Caleb, they asked me constantly if I was sad because I didn't have a boyfriend. The kids are always scrutinizing my hair and what I'm wearing. I once had a fellow teacher, a male, ask me if I would please take my shirt off because he was sure it would make the other male teachers' day. When I applied for this job, the principal (who is now retired) asked me how long he had before I got myself a boyfriend, got pregnant, and left. If I wasn't so desperate for a job, I most definitely would have gotten the heck out of there.
       Here's the thing-- I wouldn't call myself a feminist. I don't burn bras or refuse to shave my legs. I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories about how males are out to get us. However, I am a very independent person, and I've set a lot of goals for myself. I would love to get married and have kids someday, but it's not my only aspiration in life. (Not that it's a bad thing if that's what you want to do. Moms are amazing.) I am saddened by the inequalities that still exist between men and women. I am further saddened by the effect that the media is having on young people today. My female students think that they always have to have a boyfriend or they aren't worth anything. They put on pounds of make-up  and treat one another like crap... If I hear one more girl call another girl a "slut" or a "whore" I might vomit.
      


    

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm so sorry that they are treating you that way! I'm appalled that you had a co-worker ask you to tai your shirt off too. That's disgusting and verrrrry inappropriate.

    I have to say too that it breaks my heart that you can't help but view yourself (accidentally) through a very jaded and skewed world view. You're way better than that. You're worth more than that. And, you have the very fortunate position of being able to exert influence on many people around you (both co-workers and students) to help reverse the tide. Frankly, you were always one of my favorite people at DPU. You're funny, smart, willing to break out in song at any given moment (which I love and am also guilty of)-- with no shame, I should add, and you have a zeal for what you do. Wear turtlenecks until the cows come home.

    ReplyDelete