Sunday, August 7, 2011

First two days of school!

Well, I survived my first two days of school. Here's a brief synopsis:

Day One:
       I had early morning duty in the gym and watched in anticipation as the bleachers filled with kids that might be in my class. I tried to guess which ones were choir kids and which had probably opted to take something else. No major discipline issues that I had to address because the kids were all on their best behavior for the first day. Then the bell rang and they headed to their first period classes to hear the school rules read aloud until lunchtime. That's right-- the poor kids had to stay in the same room going over the dress code, code of conduct, and forms that needed to be returned for three hours. I assisted a teacher upstairs as I don't have a first period class. She had a bunch of sixth graders who couldn't work their locker combinations. So cute. I helped them assemble their locker shelves and hang up their mirrors inside... the important stuff, you know.
       The kids eventually got to move on to their third period class which means I began my teaching career with a room full of seventh graders. These seventh graders are supposedly the most difficult class that the school has ever seen. I can understand why my colleagues felt the need to warn me. Even on the first day of school, before I'd even read our classroom rules, these kids were going bat-sh** crazy. They talked and talked and talked and talked while one kid ran circles around his seat. As soon as I would get them quiet and somewhat focused, the door would open and in would come a late student. Or, the bell would ring and they would think it was time to go even though it wasn't. At one point, all the teachers dismissed the students because we thought it was *finally* the real bell and then they made us call them all back into our rooms. No one knew the schedule for the day, so I had no idea if I had another 2 minutes or another 20 minutes with the kids. I ended up scrapping my lesson plan and letting them socialize. I had really good intentions of actually warming them up and teaching them a silly song, but there was no way I was going to get them back after all of the interruptions. We would start anew the next day.
       I have decided that sixth graders are my favorite. They are still so respectful of their teachers and so excited to be in school. None of my sixth graders have ever sang in a choir before and many of them didn't have any kind of music in elementary school. When I teach them a silly warm-up, they giggle the whole time. After class, they come up and want to give you a hug and tell you that you are their favorite teacher. If I could teach sixth grade all day, I totally would. I can't wait to start music with this bunch.
       Seventh graders test my patience. End of story.
       Eighth graders are too cool. They're going to make me prove myself. They're constantly telling me the way that their old teacher did things, and they argue with me about just about everything. I have some really great kids in the eighth grade but I also have some kids that straight up told me they hate choir and are in my class for an "easy A". When I announced that we would actually be having a little bit of homework and taking some tests/quizzes, there was mutiny. The only thing that will save me with the eighth graders is that, eventually, they will realize I know what I am doing and take my side. I made the announcement that I am starting an after-school glee club and won many of them over. The kids are obsessed with the show, "Glee", and ask me questions about auditioning every chance they get. I hope the new opportunities make up for their distaste of my occasional homework assignments.

Day Two:
       Went much better. Once I got the seventh graders back on schedule, they were a lot easier to manage. Sixth grade classes went so well today that I almost cried in the middle of class. I've never had a group of kids hang on my every word like this. They are so hungry to learn and so excited about music. Eighth grade was a little more talkative today. They're going to hate me on Monday when I start actually enforcing our classroom rules. After I reviewed my policy on disruptions, one girl commented, "You're tough!". Supposedly, this is what I want them to think, though. I'll start out tough and then pull back.
       I have one boy in my eighth period choir. I had four boys, but two dropped and one moved to the other class to be with other boys. This boy in particular wants to be in my class because he wants to be with his girlfriend. It pisses me off because I could have an all-girls choir. I may have another chat with the counselor about this...
       I taught each of my classes a part-singing canon today called "Fish and Chips." They thought it was a lot of fun, and they actually got to do some singing on the second day of school! I also taught them some more warm-ups, a posture rhyme, and discussed good singing posture. When I got each of the choirs sitting up, they looked absolutely fabulous. These kids definitely have potential. I am really excited for this year.
       This next week we'll be doing voice placements Monday-Wednesday. On Thursday, I am starting new music. Woohoo! I think I am most nervous about handling the talking situation. It is difficult for me to find a good balance between good cop and bad cop. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing how you're doing! Keep it up! Things will get better with the 7th graders, promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Sixth graders are my favortie too :) You will find your balance. If not, just start kicking kids out of the room. That's how I handle things ;)

    ReplyDelete