Saturday, August 13, 2011

In like a lamb and out like a lion...

       My first full week of school. It is hard to know where to begin because SO MUCH happened between Monday and Friday. We had Open House where I met the parents and learned why my students are the way they are. :-) There was a line outside my door that didn't die down all night. Everybody wanted to check out the new music teacher. Some had sweet things to say like, "My kid didn't think he'd like choir but now it's his favorite class!" or "She sang all last night and wanted to tell us everything she learned!". A couple of parents even said that their kids described me as "fashionable". Haha! Other parents wanted to tell me how the last choir teacher did things or tell me how to do my job. That part wasn't fun. At the end of the night, I was probably the most tired that I've ever been. I thought my face was going to crack in two from all the smiling.
       In the classroom, we started the week learning new warm-ups, working on some simple part-singing canons, and talking about posture/breathing. The kids did a listening activity with the Jackson 5 song, "ABC", that they really liked. The kids were talkative and every class had one or two minor disruptions that I had to deal with, but most things went smoothly. If I told them to get quiet, they would. I got to know most everybody's names by Wednesday. On Thursday, we started our music for our first concert. I have the seventh and eighth graders already singing in three part harmony. My sixth grade classes are singing harmony in a round-style song. So exciting! The sixth graders were completely darling all week. I think I could teach them all day. They really make my job fun. It's like I can't believe I'm getting paid to teach them because it is so easy.
       Then there's the upperclassmen. Our "honeymoon" period ended on Thursday. My seventh graders suddenly grew springs out of their butts and couldn't manage to hold themselves in their seats. They bickered with each other almost constantly and basically ignored me when I told them to get quiet. Moving seats did absolutely nothing. It's like no one in the seventh grade likes each other and can handle sitting by another student. They classes just don't mesh, so the whole "We're a team!" thing that I had going on did a giant belly flop. How can I get them to sing together if they won't even sit together? By mid-way through the period on Friday, I had had enough. I stopped my entire rehearsal to talk about how we can make our rehearsals function more efficiently. "Well... people shouldn't talk so much." Okay, so what should we do if "people" are talking? After much discussion, they eventually came to the conclusion that our classroom rules and consequences were fair. I should just be more strict about enforcing them. Apparently their old choir teacher was strict and they feel like that's what they need. They don't believe that I will actually follow through. "Okay... I can do that." So we resumed our rehearsal and I started giving warnings and minors and following through. TOTAL MUTINY. The kids went crazy. You see, it's one thing to say what should happen when "people" talk, but it's another thing entirely when "people" is YOU. They asked for strict and they got it. On the way out the door, I heard them muttering about how much they hate me now. I wanted to say, "You asked for it!"
       My patience was already thin when my last eighth grade class of the day came in on Friday. Their rehearsal went well overall, but then we had to have a talk about what happens when the dismissal calls come. Our school dismisses bus riders by grade level. Traditionally, walkers and car riders are dismissed first before the students who ride busses. Yesterday, they forgot to make a call for walkers and car riders so I just dismissed those kids myself. All but two students got up and left. The two girls left said, "Um, half of those kids ride the busses." The kids had totally taken advantage of my kindness and that's something I just can't stand for. So Friday I told the kids that we would ALL wait until they dismissed the eighth grade because I can't trust them anymore. TOTAL MUTINY. "I have to go get ready for cheer practice! That's not fair! My Mom is going to call you! I have an appointment to get to! Blah Blah Blah!" And I said that I didn't care. Five minutes wasn't going to make or break them. We would all wait. I turned my back from the door to address a student who had smarted off in class about her attitude.  As I sat to write her discipline notice, the students grabbed their books and crowded around the door, waiting for the 8th grade call to come. In the midst of the crowd, a few girls slipped out the open door and into the hallway. A fellow teacher caught them and I heard, "What are you doing out of the room?" My head flew up from the paperwork and I bee-lined for the door. Had someone really tried to sneak out of my classroom? Seriously? Yep. "Out of my way! Go back to your seats!" I cut through the sea of angry eighth grade girls and corralled everyone, including the offenders, back into the room. Without thinking, I slammed the door and screamed "SIT. DOWN!". I don't think I have ever made that big of a production in my life. I was even shocked that it happened. I went to my desk and quietly continued filling out the discipline notice. The classroom was completely silent. They called for the eighth grade dismissal and nobody moved. I continued writing for three-four minutes after the call and then walked into the hallway. I came back inside and very quietly said, "You are dismissed." The students filed out with their heads down and mouths shut. Holy crap. Oh and did I mention that the superintendent's daughter is in this class? Yep.
       So my week came in like a lamb and out like a lion. I think we are going to spend all Monday talking about my expectations for the classroom. I am going to have to come up with a new system for my room, because the school's classroom management plan just isn't working for choir. They practically have to kill someone before they feel any consequences. They are all probably going to hate me next week, but I really don't care. The disrespectfulness that I witnessed on Thursday and Friday both from individual students and from the class as a whole just can't happen anymore.
       On a bright note, I have had so many students interested in auditioning for my Glee Club that I had to make another additional day of audition time slots. I now have three days worth of ten-minute long auditions from after school until 7:00. That's almost eighty students auditioning for a group of 30. If the talent pool is strong enough, I'm considering creating two groups- an all-girls and a mixed group. I am pleased with the number of guys auditioning. Lots of really strong singers. I don't have tons of guys in the program overall, but each of them are extremely talented and dedicated. Exciting stuff.
       This year might very well kill me. I will have someone observing me in my room just about every week from one facet of the school corp or another. I'm K-TIPping... which is essentially Kentucky's new teacher program that requires an obscene amount of busy work and additional observations. I am already over-committed when it comes to groups at school (my own darn fault) and I also volunteered to start helping with the music direction at my home church. I decided to keep a few private lessons students on the side. WHY WHY WHY do I always overcommit? Here I go again...

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear how excited the kids are about your glee club! That just shows how much they are liking your teaching. Kids don't sign up to spend more time with you if they don't like you. As far as the trouble makers, they are testing the waters. You know this. Be firm little. They need to know that you take teaching and choir very seriously. Too be honest, based on their reactions after you started dolling out consequences, I'm starting to doubt whether the previous teacher actually WAS strict. I loved that you brought the kids into the discussion about what was and wasn't working. Usually (I say usually) allowing them a say leads to better behavior. Maybe there is a reward they could reach for? Like, almost set up a social contract with them and have goals for each rehearsal. If they meet their goal for the class they are one step closer to that reward....? I mean you don't want it to be all about outside motivators and rewards, but giving maybe these kids need some visual representation of how they are doing. They obviously KNOW they are acting up. As for the 8th graders....man I'm not help there. I struggled with my "top dogs" last year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. phew!!! What a week! hang in there girl- you have to find a consequence/reward system that means something to them... if calling parents and getting them involved doesn't work (remember how effective those phone calls are- especially the ones made from the classroom after dismissal) then find something that they care about and use that as your carrot.
    Your Glee club sounds great!! That will also establish leaders and kids who are really focused on making music. Can't wait to hear about them!!
    Find out if any of the trouble makers play sports and connect with coaches to see if they can help with consequences- if they should get in trouble in your class (we LOVE detentions!!) then they sit out or run more at practice. It's always a great consequence.

    I'm so proud of you!!! what are you singing??
    Can't wait to hear!
    Maybe we could set up something where we record our groups and swap recordings to let the kids compliment and critique...listening pen pals??

    Hang in there!! You're doing a great job!! The more you plan and use that creative spark that you have- the more they will engage.

    You're awesome and I already miss having you around!
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yay! Just saw your comment, Cindy! Haha. I thought of you when I made my parent phone calls that first week! :-)

    For our first concert, we are singing (tentatively):
    6th grade- "Shake the Papaya Down" (The Ruth Dwyer arrangement... they LOVE it!) with instruments, "Like a Might Stream" (a 2-part Moses Hogan arrangement), and " Peace Canon" (another 2-part piece based on a canon by Beethoven).
    7th grade- "Pop! A Can-Can Salute to Soft Drinks" in 2 parts, "Reuben and Rachel" (if I feel like the forty girls won't totally overpower my ten boys), and "Let Freedom Ring!" by Jay Althouse.
    8th grade- Also singing "Let Freedom Ring!", "Jump Down!" an American folk song arr. Brian Lewis, and "Joshua! (Fit the Battle of Jericho)" arr. Shaw. Joshua may be a bit hard for a beginning of the year piece... we'll see.
    If we have time, I'll throw in a couple more pieces. If not, I'm filling with solos! They've never done a fall concert before, so I'm wanting to keep it short and sweet.

    Thanks for your advice, everyone! Keep it coming! I'll keep you posted! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete