Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I am a piano wizard!

Anyone that knows me knows that I play the piano... but only kind of. I have taken lessons since I was four, but I still can't manage to play anything with more than three flats (hate sharp keys!) or anything that moves much faster than andante. What can I say? It's not my gift. I discovered yesterday, however, that I play more piano than anyone at my school which means (lucky me) that I get to accompany rehearsals this semester. I may also be accompanying the choirs at ISSMA, the musical rehearsals, and at least one soloist at ISSMA. Today we are rehearsing Ching-A-Ring Chaw (check it out on youtube) and it is such a bear to play! Copland. I practiced for at least 2 1/2 hours last night and still can't make it through. I can play the whole thing at a tempo about half as fast as it's supposed to go. Additionally, I wrote two lesson plans last night... TEACHING MY FIRST FULL LESSON EVER TODAY!!!... so I worked pretty hard. By bedtime, I was so ready to crash. I just keep telling myself that I will, hopefully, be a better pianist at the end of the semester for this experience. My fingers hurt.

Funny story: Yesterday we were having lunch in the teachers lounge and watching T.V. when all of the teachers started yelling "Shut up! Turn it up! Please, God, please!" and I was like, "What happened?" and my mind is thinking terrorist attack, a shooting, something awful... It was the weather report. They wanted school to be cancelled. Just thought it was funny that teachers want it as badly as the students.

In related knews, it's going to snow a ton while we are in school today and I don't know if I'll be able to drive home. Zippy sucks in the snow. Grrrr... Oh, Zippy is my car btw.

In unrelated knews, I still think many of my general music students strongly dislike me. I introduced myself yesterday and just kept getting that line from Elf stuck in my head: This place is like the North Pole... except it smells like pee and everybody looks like they want to hurt me.

:-) All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment