Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's ma birfday! (almost)

Today the fam is coming up to help me celebrate my 22nd birthday (early). We're going to go to Bucca di Beppo's for some giant meatballs and then have raspberry truffle cake from Coldstone. So excited! This week was so long and crazy that I really didn't get to blog, but I'll give you some of the highlights.

1. Taught an African hand clapping lesson in general music that didn't totally suck. Yes!
2. Taught a breathing lesson to the choirs that didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I know now that I really need to be more firm about nipping talking and goofing off in the bud. I am scared to give warnings/detentions at this point, but I think it will get easier after I've done it a couple of times. 
3. Led warm-ups with the choirs... fun!
4. Helped judge musical auditions! This was probably the best part of my week. The kids did SUCH an awesome job and they are SO talented. Some of the auditions (no joke) almost brought me to tears because I could see little pieces of myself or my friends in them. Most of the kids were incredibly nervous but totally rocked their auditions with a little bit of encouragement from our end. This is why I love being a teacher. You get to give kids that extra little nudge in the direction of their dreams. Corny? Yes. True? Yes. We were at school until 7 on Wednesday and 8 on Thursday. Totally worth it, though. I was a new kind of tired on Friday. 
5. Getting better at learning kids names, but still struggling. This is harder than I thought!
6. I still LOVE my school, my fellow teachers, and my students. I am already thinking about how difficult it will be to leave at the end of the semester. 
7. I think I want to live in Indy after school. 

Friday night-- returned to the Blu Martini and got to see the lovely and talented Margaret. Got hit on by the bartender who is twice my age. Awkward turtle... I hope he was kidding.
Saturday-- went shopping at Castleton mall. Didn't buy a thing... good girl!
Saturday night-- went to see the Naptown Roller Girls (Tornado Sirens) defeat the Fort Wayne Bomb Squad at the Roller Derby. Awesome! Ate way too much junk food.

All for now! Love!

1 comment:

  1. 7. I think I want to live in Indy after school.
    sounds good to me (:

    ReplyDelete